Saint Lucia (July 23, 2012) – A pinch of sand, a large helping of sun, mixed with a dash of adventure makes the perfect recipe for an adrenaline filled vacation in Saint Lucia. Visitors looking for activities that are a little out of the ordinary can find endless opportunities both above and below the sea from zip-lining through the rainforest, snorkeling among the coral or bouncing around forest roads on an ATV.
“Saint Lucia fulfills the desires for active travelers seeking a variety of ways to stay vigorous and healthy while away,” said Louis Lewis, Director of Tourism for the Saint Lucia Tourist Board. “The island’s rugged natural landscape, diverse eco-systems and crystal-blue waters offer a ‘must-do’ experience list of activities and excursions that will keep the heart pumping and body moving.”
Top Ten On-Island Excursions:
- For hikers, the Tet Paul Nature Trail boasts some of the most spectacular views in Saint Lucia including Jalousie Bay and the Pitons as well as stops at the Cassava House and Organic Farm. The 45 minute trek is rated easy to moderate and led by a well-trained guide. For more information visit http://soufrierefoundation.org/tet-paul-nature-trail or http://www.tetpaulnaturetrail.com/. Other hiking tour locations include Barre De L’isle, Des Cartiers Rainforest, Edmund Forest Reserve or Enbas Saut. For more information visit http://www.stlucia.org/activity/rainforest.asp
- Views of Saint Lucia are just as amazing below sea level. Divers can indulge in colorful coral reefs and abundant marine life at popular spots like the Key Hole Pinnacles. Or get carried away by the currents at Superman’s Flight, the drift dive named after the movie, located at the base of the Petit Piton. A total of 23 diving locations can be found just off the shoreline island wide. For a less extreme alternative, SNUBA excursions ease divers into the water and descend no more than 20 feet. For the best diving on the island visit http://stlucianow.com/activities/dive-adventures/ or http://stlucianow.com/activities/sea-adventures/cox-and-company-snuba-tour
- Zip-lining serves up a healthy dose of adrenaline. Utilizing zip cables extended as high as 150 feet above ground, visitors are transported through lush foliage for panoramic views of the rainforest, the city of Soufriere, or the Pitons at one of three zip-line locations on-island. For more information http://stlucianow.com/activities/ecoadventures/
- Jungle Biking is not for the faint of heart. Visitors interested in kicking cardio into high-gear can head to Bike Saint Lucia at the Anse Mamin Plantation on the Anse Chasanet Resort. Custom trails accommodate both rookie and seasoned riders using specially designed Cannondale suspension bikes. A skill course training area is available for those new on the scene or seeking a quick refresher. For more information http://www.bikestlucia.com/
- Kite Boarding takes surfing to new heights with the constant tradewinds. A common spot for this popular activity is the Vieux Fort area at The Reef Beach Café. Clinics, seminars and workshops are available for those willing and ready to take on the challenge. Windsurfing is also available. For more information visit http://slucia.com/kitesurf/
- Deep Sea Fishing offers a chance to explore the great Caribbean Sea through a number of different charters. Guests can choose between whole or half-day fishing excursions. Depending on the time of year, the Catch of the Day may include mackerel, king mackerel, white marlin, barracuda, kingfish or sailfish. For more information visit http://www.hackshaws.com/
- Tee off at the Saint Lucia Golf Club located on the northern tip of the island set within the hills of Cap Estates, said to be one of the most demanding layouts in the Caribbean. For more information about golfing visit http://www.stluciagolf.com/playgolf_golfcourse.htm
- Experience the trails through Saint Lucia’s scenic northern coastline on horseback. Visitors can choose a route along the shoreline on white sandy beaches or experience the lush vegetation in the interior of the island. Horseback riding is perfect for all ages and any skill level from beginners to experienced. Each tour is conducted with a professional guide and handler. For more information visit http://stlucianow.com/activities/soft-adventures/
- Become fully immersed in Saint Lucia by cruising with an all-terrain-vehicle (ATV) along peaceful forest roads en route to the beach. Located at Davie Estate Ltd. riders can sample fresh fruit right from the tree and see first hand how it is cultivated. Paradise ATV tours are located in Micoud towards the south eastern portion of Saint Lucia. For more information visit http://www.atvstlucia.com/
- Sailing and yachting give sea lovers a 360 view of the island with the freedom to travel beyond the Saint Lucian waters. For more information on sailing the Caribbean Sea visit http://stlucianow.com/yachting/
For more information about Summerlicious or the island of Saint Lucia visit www.saintlucianow.com or become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SaintLuciaTouristBoard.